Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight

ITS A DIARY !

This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.


Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!

Enjoy!

Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Monday 16 November 2009

What happened next on that morning!

What happened next still has me totally enthralled - and incredulous!

He followed us along the grass, really close, hopping and flapping.

So I gave him one of Madame's dry dog food pellets. He loved it!

He loved it so much, he followed us round the little spinney and over the footpath, onto the huge field, always keeping quite close. That was for a distance of about 60 or 70 yards, and round the spinney, where we were briefly out of his sight.

Meanwhile, I had let Madame off the lead. She did a small, soft hop-and-bark towards him, and he responded with a short, very low, winged hop - both giving the impression that this was just for form's sake ...

The raven and I just stood there, looking at each other.
I was stunned.
I gave him another pellet - then dogwalkers came along further down the path and he took off.

I still can't quite believe what happened this morning.

Obviously, these two ravens have seen me around since spring, they must have taken notice of Madame. They might well have watched me throw the meaty bits and the cheese into the fenced-off plot. I am reasonably certain that they do not regard me as a threat, and they must know by now that Madame is more bark than bite.
But why would the bold raven actually follow me - for quite a way?

Today was the first time I actually threw food items to them where they could see me up close, and pick them up straight away. This all took place in the open field, not in the fenced-off enclosure, where neither me nor Madame would have been able to get at them.

I was enthralled when they took the pieces of cheese I threw without flying off, in spite of my physical throwing action, and in spite of having Madame sitting next to me. That was astounding in itself.
But following me?
Amazing!

I've got some more meat scraps for tomorrow, although I don't hold much hope for any feeding encounters.
The weather forecast is for rain and gales. So even if the morning turns out to be dry, there will still be strong winds and it will be gloomy.
I'll try and shout - see if that attracts them.
Can't wait!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Powered By Blogger