Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight

ITS A DIARY !

This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.


Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!

Enjoy!

Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Monday 16 November 2009

Oct 31st, 2009

It was a lovely early morning, sun rising, mild, damp from the overnight rain. Madame and I were the only ones around, and it was practically the same time as yesterday, give or take five minutes. (Thats about 7.40 a.m.)

Not a raven in sight - but three wood pigeons in the fenced-off are, and another small flock a bit further away, towards the back wall and the tennis courts. I shooed the wood pigeons off the plot. Madame was running free, and had fun chasing the other wood pigeons off.
Then I threw one of the pieces of cheese into that fenced-off plot.
No ravens.

After the wood pigeons had gone, and Madame had turned towards the wall and the trees there, one raven appeared and started poking the grass where the wood pigeons had been. Then the other appeared, also poking the grass, a few yards away from the first raven.

I walked round the plot, having been diagonally opposite where the pigeons and now the ravens were. I grabbed Madame and put her on the lead, not wanting her to chase the ravens.
When I was about five yards away from them, I stood still. The bold one actually came hopping towards me, eyeing me. I slowly took another piece of cheese out of my pocket, desperately trying to keep Madame under control, who thought that piece of cheese was for her.

The raven stood, then came closer, and I very gently threw that piece of cheese towards him. He didn't fly off, he hopped to the cheese and took it in his beak, then flew a bit down along the fence to eat it.
Then the more shy one, who was much further off, also came closer and stood waiting. I gave him a small piece of cheese, so he took it and moved back.
The bold raven came back, hopped really close, about a yard away, and waited for his next bit!
I duly gave it to him - and then walked off with Madame, as I had no more cheese to distribute.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Powered By Blogger