Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Monday, 23 November 2009

Nov 23rd

Horrendous weather conditions - as predicted by the Met Office: very heavy rain during the night, exceedingly heavy showers all day, and gals, with bursts up to 60mph. The wind is howling round the house, Madame doesn't like it one bit! And the sirens of the fire engines keep howling in the distance ...

We did go out, dodging the squalls, and got to the ravens field by about 8 a.m. This time, we did not romp in the big field: it was by far too muddy and slithery underfoot. 
No ravens in sight, just a couple of seagulls sailing on the wind. A few raven calls, very distant.

Just as we passed the spinney, on the footpath, two ravens appeared, landing in the big field. Again - it was that young pair, not my bold one and his companion. 
They did follow us into the ravens field, and picking up the scraps on the way to enclosure I noted that one of them has become just a tad less timid. He still waits until we turn our back before he picks up the food, but now comes much closer. Again, in the enclosure, they both kept their distance. Again, neither took off to hide their scraps in a hole outside the enclosure.  And again, they started following us to the spinney much later, not immediately upon our turning in that direction from the enclosure. 

However - they must have learned the 'no-more-food' and 'still-some-food' walk routine!  its possible that they observed us and the other pair while we established this rule.

We went round the spinney by the tennis courts ('no-more-food'), and first the one, then the other flew up and sat in one of the young trees lining the spinney where we walked. They did not follow any further, and if I want to indulge in anthropomorphism, I'd say the ravens sat in that tree as if to say 'thanks -seeya tomorrow' ...

But what on earth happened to my bold raven? What is he up to? Where has he gone?
Will we ever find out?

No comments:

Blog Archive