Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight

ITS A DIARY !

This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.


Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!

Enjoy!

Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Sunday 22 November 2009

Nov 22nd



More puzzles. 


I have no idea what happened to my bold raven. He is around, I think - but again didn't come today for his feeding. Odd.

It was a dry start to the day, a bit cooler and more windy, but dry - and an impressive sunrise sky. We were at the top end of the big field around 7.45 - still to early, I must change the routine! Few raven calls from the distance, both from the old quarries and Pontcanna Fields, but no ravens to be seen. There were again quite a few seagulls swooping about.

Once we reached the top of the big field, two ravens appeared - timid and hesitant, so I concluded these were the young pair. I threw them a few scraps which they only took after Madame and I had moved away. 
They also get easily spooked by my throwing action, no matter how slowly and gently I do it. As we moved on to the raven field, they both fluffed themselves up, gave what looked like a couple of bows and croaked at the same time.

I gave them more scraps for that performance - and just then two more ravens swooped in. 
There was a bit of wing-flapping amongst them - and as last time, one raven walked off, then the other flew off. 

I'm beginning to think the two who came flying in are my ravens ...

The young two flew into the trees at the spinney before following us into the raven field. A group of dogwalkers started their round, so it was not surprising that these timid ravens flew straight into the enclosure. Walking round as usual, throwing scraps, the ravens seemed to be a bit less timid, but still waited for us to walk on a good few yards, with our backs turned, before they picked up the scraps. They did not store the in their crops, and did not fly off to make holes to hide them.

We went back to the big field the 'more-food' way, and after a while one raven did follow us into the big field. He got some more scraps - but the second raven, who appeared even later, was too timid to pick up any. 
Madame was back on her lead by then. She is getting very good now - it works best when she gets a scrap first, then the ravens, then her again. Mind, if, as today, the ravens don't dare to come as close as the bold one used to do, she'll go and pick that scrap up herself!

Later, when I went to get the papers (it was raining by then), one raven was searching for scraps in the gutters of this big road. I am reasonably sure it was my bold one, but he paid no attention to me - probably because of the utterly different surroundings.

Must get to the raven field much later! 
I am convinced the light of day plays a role in which ravens appear. My ravens seem to prefer a slightly later time, a slightly brighter light.

I miss my bold raven!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers

Powered By Blogger