Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Friday, 17 December 2010

Friday, Dec 17th, 2010

It snowed during the night, so when we went out this morning everything was pristine. As we were one of the first to walk down the street and into the park, we didn't encounter any ice, formed by compacted snow. That was at 7.35 a.m., at dawn.

We got into the tennis courts,and Miss Sophie ran around. The two juvenile ravens came and sat on the fence, one of them making a soft croaking noise. They did get some titbits.

Miss Sophie hugely enjoyed chasing them.
I am convinced they love playing with her, because one of them flies quite low to the ground, just ahead of her, so she won't catch him. He does that all the way up and down the fence.
The other starts her off by swooping low over her back, then he doubles back and she runs after him. Once they both sit on the fence again, she jumps up and down and barks at them.
It all looks very sweet ...

Meanwhile, the sun had started to rise - and the sky to the East was a lurid, deep red. There's the old saying 'red sky in the morning - shepherd's warning', and that was true today.

First, though, on the way back we met Karen and Bas. We walked quickly because after half an hour it felt very cold. Then, back at home, the sunshine coloured the snow-covered trees in the park, it was breathtakingly beautiful.

Half an hour later, it started to snow again, for a good two hours. After it stopped, about two hours later, we had a bit of sunshine, but an hour after that, it started snowing yet again. This has been going on for a good hour now. It is very quiet, no traffic sounds in the background, the snowflakes are fat and sticky. We've now got about 4 inches of snow with no end in sight. The sky is a dense pale grey and the trees in the park are now invisible. There is no wind, the flakes are coming straight down.

Oh - just like Madame Dog, Miss Sophie has been scooping up the fresh snow with her tongue while we were in the park ...

If this weather keeps going, chances are we might prefer indoor games tomorrow ...


Anonymous said...

Hi {Yma} you have a gift of being able to "paint a picture with words" and I SO enjoy reading your blog!
I do hope, however, that the snow stops soon and perhaps somewhat warmer temperatures come soon.
And I agree that Miss Sophie and the two young Ravens enjoy playing together - it certainly sounds like it!!
In any event, please continue to be careful with that bitter cold and I do hope that the wind stops coming directly from the North Pole!!

yma said...

Hiya, {rw} - it was amazing this morning (Dec 18th) - and while it was cold, there was no wind, so it felt ... warm ... comparatively.

It looks as if we'll have to keep indoors tomorrow, Sunday Dec 19th - hope not, because it is nice to let Miss Sophie run around when the usual crowd of dogs isn't present.

Can't believe there's still one week to go to Christmas Day - it has been so quiet here because nobody ventured out with their cars, and only the dog walkers came past, because that's a case of needs must!

Blog Archive