Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Monday, 29 November 2010

Monday November 29th, 2010

No snow overnight, no dreaded Easterly winds as yet, so the temperature (28F) at 7.20 a.m. felt positively balmy, compared to yesterday.
It was a glorious sunrise, the sky pale blue and dusty pink in the North east, and the sun rising as a huge, golden orange ball around 7.50 a.m.

We met Bas and Karen at the top of the first field, and we walked across the big field together, Miss Sophie off the lead.
All went well, with her and Bas sniffing the same things - but then I called her to put her back on the lead because Bas and karen were leaving in the opposite direction. She came - but as I was trying to get her reward out of my pocket, Bas bounced up to get one as well. That was too much for her - she turned on him to chase him off. Not really agressive, just plain jealous and possessive! Typical girlie!

Once alone, I let her off again and while she was rolling in the snow, two ravens came from the spinney. They had observed us since we entered the big field, and had followed us from the toddlers' playground. It must be the same pair which visits us in the tennis courts - the behaviour is identical, picking up the titbits only when they don't feel observed, but feeling secure enough to walk behind my back up to about a yard's distance.
I am wondering if they are the quarry pair from last year.

We then went into the tennis courts - I couldn't resist, the snow in there was pristine. I just had to get our foot prints on it!

The ravens came as well, and Miss Sophie enjoyed a few more rolls on the snow. When she got up, one of the ravens flew down from the net to get at the titbits - and that set her off. She chased the bird round the court. She eventually did come back to me, so that was ok. she looked so beautiful, running full speed.
I also had the impression the raven didn't mind - he flew in front of her nose, not escaping immediately to the top of the big fence, or to a tree.

They both did that again after I'd given both some titbits, so I think this was a bit of a game. If so, I hope they go on doing this because inside the tennis courts it offers an excellent opportunity for me to get Miss Sophie to come even when in full tilt - and not escape to God knows where.

The little Chow came along, on the other side of the fence, and Miss Sophie really wanted to play with her. Her tail was wagging, she made play-bows and gave little whiney sounds while they both went along the fence. This is all good!

Finally we went back home - this was a very good morning!

No comments:

Blog Archive