Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight

ITS A DIARY !

This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.


Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!

Enjoy!

Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Monday 26 April 2010

April 26th


It was grey and mild, and very damp today - a hint of drizzle, so fine one hardly noticed it.
We went out at 6.35 a.m., hearing a few raven calls quite far away.

In the big field, Bas came bouncing up to us - and I am happy to report that Miss Sophie was fine: she didn't growl and didn't try to nip him. 

Getting into the ravens field, we saw none, nor did we hear them. So we walked on, doing some training, and as we got to the corner between the fencing and the wall to the allotments, one raven came into the enclosure. We walked back and I threw some scraps for him, which he picked up and then flew off. I could not make out which one it was. He did not come back.

Unfortunately, our walk generally and the raven-feeding especially was rudely interrupted by a whippet which was most certainly not under the control of its owner. In the end there was nothing else for us but to walk home, doing a few exercises on the way.

Sadly, I'll now have to re-think my options of when to go out, for Miss Sophie's sake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi {Yma}! This is realwest - don't know where the Ravens have gone to - other than probably nesting, but if they were feeding young ravens then I'd think they'd be hanging around waiting for you and your wonderful scraps to take back to the baby ravens!
And you really should speak to the owner of that Whippet. If memory serves me correctly, that's not the first time that Whippet has been "not under the control of it's owner" and - unless you're walking in what we here in the States refer to as a dog-park - walking dogs "off-leash" is strictly forbidden.
But I'm glad that Miss Sophie and Bas seemed to get along ok this time, with no snarling, or growling or anti-social behavior!!
Hope you're doing well as well!

yma said...

Hiya, realwest -

I did indeed speak to that owner - in fact, I told her in no uncertain terms that she needs to get her dog under control. The excuses she came up with were ridiculous:
* he's a rescue dog ...
Well, she's had him for about six months, enough time to work with him, as opposed to the four weeks Sophie's been with me!
* he needs to run, otherwise he'll wreck the house when they're out!
Don't have a dog if you're unwilling to put in the work to teach him how to behave, in and outside the house, and can't look after him properly!
* he doesn't like head collars ...
Oh boo-hoo! You're taught in puppy and obedience classes how to deal with that.
* he doesn't like being on the lead, long or short ...
Yep - so one trains the 'recall', dog has to come back when called, no matter what, before one lets them loose.
And even then one is not half the park away from that dog.
I was really cross - and I was cross with the other women who went on like that whippet is such a friendly dog, and dogs on leads are more aggressive ... So I told them that I'm not having my Sophie smeared as an aggressive dog because others can't control their dog while I am doing my utmost to train her.
Was I angry?
You bet I was!

The obedience class went so well - Sophie is learning more and more how to be with other dogs - it just takes time and patience. I'm not having that ruined by irresponsible dog owners!

Blog Archive

Followers

Powered By Blogger