Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Friday, 23 April 2010

April 23rd

The weather hasn't changed a bit: a cold, sunny morning, the sky blue, but a bit hazy - and while it still is gloves-time, it felt milder than before because the wind has died down.

We left the house at 6.35 a.m. There had been some distant raven calls earlier, but none in Llandaff Fields, which was however beginning to become populated by dogs and their walkers.

Walking to the top of the big field, we noticed that the fence posts have now been removed from the enclosure there, as well as from the bottom enclosure in the ravens field. 
The top enclosure in the ravens field however, where I feed the ravens, was still fenced in, just the gate missing.
Once we got to that part, one raven came flying in. He came from the direction of the toddlers' playground, and he landed in the huge lime tree next to the spinney, which is now unfolding this year's leaves.

We walked to the enclosure, I did the scrap-throwing, Miss Sophie did her 'sit' exercise, getting rewarded, and the raven flew into the enclosure, picking up the scraps. He was one of the young pair, recognisable by his 'Roman' beak. 

At first, he went to hide some scraps, then he ate some, and finally flew off with the rest in his crop. 
He didn't come back, so we did our obedience exercises - Miss Sophie is getting a little bit better day by day - and went home.

Tomorrow, I am looking forward to an empty Llandaff Fields, seeing as it is the weekend. 
I am also looking forward to the change in the weather: the wind is predicted to swing to the South West, so it'll be warmer, and hopefully we'll get some rain. The grounds are hard, and, where bare, already cracked, like during a hot and dry summer. 

No comments:

Blog Archive