Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Saturday, 6 March 2010

March 6th


A clear sky overnight meant there was again frost on the ground, but the wind had died down, so it did feel really mild.
The sunrise was a bit watery, but the dawn was magnificent, with soft colours. The robins and blackbirds sang loudly about an hour before sunrise - and there were some soft raven calls coming from Pontcanna Fields.

I left the house at 6.35 a.m.. The streetlights were just switching off, nobody in the park except me and the ravens. 
Some calls came from the quarry side as I got into the big field, and when I reached the top, calls came from the ravens field as well.
The bold pair came first, swooping in  from the ravens field, then the young pair came from the toddlers' playground, and the quarry pair arrived last. The companion of the bold raven cawed to me, sort of bowing low to the ground, wings spread, but the bold raven just cawed.

The others were quiet - no wonder, a seagull came and circled overhead for a couple of rounds. Ravens and me stood still and made no movements. As the gull flew off, I threw them the scraps, as usual, but then some more seagulls arrived, and the ravens quickly grabbed what was there and flew off to where they ahd come from.

I waited around for a bit - but that was it: the ravens did not come back. Well, Bas had arrived meanwhile ... he is so happy rushing around like a puppy, bouncing up to the new dogs and to his old acquaintances. 

We went back down the big field - lots to do today for me ...

(I fed the ravens - will report tomorrow, on today's happenigns and tomorrows.
Not up to writing today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi {Yma} - no need to apologize for not feeling up to writing today. That you were able to feed the Ravens is more than sufficient when you're not up to it.
Oh and btw, this is realwest!

Blog Archive