Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Monday, 29 March 2010

March 29th

It started raining during the night, so the morning was colder than in the last few days, and yes, it rained!
We left the house at 7 a.m. BST (British Summer Time), which two days ago was still 6 a.m.

No raven calls, and no ravens as we walked along the quarry side and to the small arboretum. I did throw a few scraps into the enclosure in the ravens field, but no raven appeared. They must have still been asleep, and with the dark rain clouds it was not a day to be out and about.
On the way back, one raven appeared. He only flew to sit in one of the sycamores at the spinney, looking disgruntled, wet and cross. He didn't come to the ground, so we went home.

Later, we went out again at 1.30 p.m. It was still damp, with some drizzly showers. There were lots of small and large dogs about, most of whom I'd not met before. Being out at this time of day is new to me: Madame and I used to go out later when she was still well enough.
We spent some time in the ravens field, me trying to get my new Miss to walk on the lead - hard work! 

As we turned back to the spinney, two ravens flew to sit on the fence posts of the enclosure, so I threw them the scraps I'd brought with me. 
This looked like my young pair, but with rain starting to come down again, and with Miss Sophie trying to chase squirrels while also trying to meet small Jack Russell Terriers, I thought it best not to tarry and got us home.

With more rain being forecast, perhaps I don't need to get into the park quite so early tomorrow ...

Attention - name change!
I found out this morning, quite by accident, that 'Bonnie' responded much better to me when I called her 'Sophie'. She even understood some commands.

So from now on my new house wolf is 'Miss Sophie'.


maudgonne said...

Hi, Yma!

I'm so happy to hear about Bonnie!

Hope that both you and she are doing well and enjoying Spring.

yma said...

Hiya, maudgonne,

thanks - I am really happy to have her!

However, after these couple of days I am noticing that she is very nervous and scared - more than can be accounted for by the change in her surroundings.
She'll need lots of love and work, to build up her confidence.
Also, I found by accident that she reacts much better when I call her 'Sophie', rather than Bonnie - so from now on she's Miss Sophie on this blog, plain Sophie in the house ...

Blog Archive