Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Thursday, 25 March 2010

March 25th

Today, I managed to make it out of the house at 6.40 a.m. So it wasn't that much earlier - but as it was again a grey morning, slightly damp, mild, but without sun, that wasn't too bad, considering ...

There had been no calls, nor were there any as I got into the big field. Even at the top, past the enclosure, there were no calls, nor a raven to be seen.

Meanwhile, even the last handful of blackheaded seagulls have left and gone to their breeding grounds, so there were no huge flocks to scare the ravens off. The dog population also was exceedingly reduced this morning - just Jess, a young Border Collie, having a romp.

I walked on into the ravens field, and saw one raven perched on the topmost branch of the maple which stand right next to the fence of the tennis courts. He did not come down until I had reached the enclosure - and thrown a few scraps into it.

Then, his companion joined him there, both again keeping away from where I stood. So - that had to be the young pair. 

They did follow me on the ground when I walked back towards the spinney, the 'more food' way. They approached to within a couple of yards, provided I did not turn round and look at them. 
When I did, they turned their backs and walked away a few steps, but did not fly off.
Once they had collected a few scraps, they did fly off, towards the allotments.

I walked on into the big field, no ravens came until I was well past the enclosure and past the middle of this field. 
Then, the quarry pair arrived - still skittish, but happy to get the remaining scraps.

The bold pair did not come today.

This is the time of year when the ravens start breeding, so it is possible that the bold pair is thus occupied, while both the young and the quarry pair are not yet sexually mature to start breeding, wherefore they still appear together.

I'll endeavour to get out even earlier tomorrow, regardless of the weather.


Anonymous said...

Hi {Yma} this is realwest! What do you mean "get out earlier?"!!!!
I mean, geez you were out at 6:40 this morning!!
Tell the Ravens to sleep later, that's what I'd do! LOL!
Hope you got my e-mail and that everything is now fine with your renos and soon indeed there will be another house wolf living with you!!

yma said...

Hiya, realwest -

its all a bit hectic at the moment, I don't know if I'm coming or going, teeheehee ...

I'd love for the ravens to sleep longer - pity the sun is rising earlier every day: that is what regulates their sleep patterns.

Got your e-mail, answer on its way!

Blog Archive