Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Tuesday, 23 March 2010

March 23rd

No rain as yet, this morning - but quite dense fog. And it was still cold, sufficiently so that I was still wearing gloves.
The bird songs early in the morning were much quieter, and there were no raven calls.

I left the house at 7.50 a.m., and as I got to the first field, there were ravens calling from behind my back - from the road. No more raven calls, however, once I got to the top of the big field, and not one raven was to be seen. I did throw some scraps into the enclosure in the big field, but no raven turned up.

Then, into the ravens field, I saw one lone raven poking the ground inside the enclosure there. I walked up, but the raven did not show any interest. I walked round the enclosure, throwing scraps, and the raven - I assume he was one of the young pair - kept his distance from me but did walk to pick up one or two of those scraps.
At the same time, another raven was perched on the top of one of the rugby goal posts. He kept sitting there the whole time I was walking around the enclosure, he did not come down at all.

Back in the big field, again not one raven appeared, in spite of my standing, waiting, throwing scraps. So I walked back, quite puzzled as to this behaviour. 

The usual dogs only turned up as I left, so it cannot have been their presence which disturbed the ravens - and they are used to them anyway.

The blackheaded seagulls also have mostly dispersed now - no huge flocks anywhere, just about half a dozen sitting in a small group in the far corner of the ravens field, near the goal post the raven was perched on.

All I can assume is that in some way the dense fog meant the ravens preferred to keep to the trees and other high places such as that goal post.

It was quite odd, though - ravens are always good for a surprise ...


Anonymous said...

Hi{Yma} this is realwest!
Perhaps the Ravens had already had their breakfast by the time you got out of the house!
After all, you usually get out around 6:50AM or so don't you?!
Well in any event, fear not - I'm sure your Ravens will return!

Spenser (with an S) said...

Good afternoon, Yma. I hope you are doing well and it always makes me smile to see your blog posts. Take care and I'll see you soon.

yma said...

Hi, realwest -

no breakfast for the ravens, I don't think ... I believe the fog made them feel slightly disgruntled, and they preferred sitting up high where they felt comfortable, rather than traipse around on the ground with a dog suddenly appearing out of the fog.

But who knows - perhaps I should have been more persistent, hung about a bit longer ... only those people were coming to do things in my house, so I had to get back without dawdling.

yma said...

Hiya, Spenser (with an S) -

thank you for your lovely words!
I'm still sorting out the house, which needs to be done while I am still dog-less, and it is tiring.

But hopefully there will soon be another house wolf living with me - that's why I'm clearing the decks, so to speak ...

Blog Archive