Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Saturday, 6 February 2010

Feb 6th

Interesting ... 
I did go out earlier, leaving the house at 7.05 a.m. It was cool, milder than yesterday, so no early morning mist. Also - no rain! The dawn was just starting, the robins were signing, and the waning half moon hung to my left, in the South West, as I got into Llandaff Fields. The light conditions were similar to those we encountered about six weeks agon, when Madame could still go out wiht me. Only then, we left after 7.30 a.m.

I had heard raven calls from Pontcanna Fields about 5.45 a.m. - and there were a few calls when I got into Llandaff fields. No ravens until I entered the ravens field - then one appeared in front of me, on the ground - he'd come from one of the rugby goal posts, where he had been sitting. His companion flew straight into the enclosure.

It was my young pair, still very skittish, keeping their distance, not moving until my back was turned. Interestingly, it was the turning away from them which made them feel braver - they came to pick up the scraps even if I had not moved an inch away.
Neither of them called, and I noticed that one of them only picked up scraps twice, then vanished. 

I walked back to the top of the big field. Only one of them followed, first flying into one of the big sycamores at the footpath, then following on the ground. After picking up a couple of scraps, he also vanished. 
The quarry pair did not turn up at this spot, close to the enclosure in the big field, as they used to do. They did however come when I was in the middle of the field - skittish, staying far away, but picking up a few scraps. Again, one of them flew off straight away, the other hung about for anotehr couple of scraps. That was the raven with the brown patch on his chest.

Then the first dog walkers appeared - so no more ravens.
However - there had not been any flocks of seagulls to disturb them, so I wonder if the gulls appear depending on the brightness of daylight. I also have not seen the bold pair. 
If the weather holds for tomorrow, I may try and find out if they have changed their territory. I have my suspicions ...

No comments:

Blog Archive