Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Thursday, 25 February 2010

Feb 25th

It was mild again this morning, the robins and blackbirds were singing, but the sun was still hidden behind some dark clouds.
There had been no raven calls before I left the house at 7.30 a.m., but I did hear some when I got into the first field.

I walked up the big field, accompanied by more calls coming from the boundaries. In the middle of the field, I found the remnants of a food-waste bag which had been dragged there. I can tell you that neither ravens, nor seagulls and apparently urban foxes neither, like eating spring onions!

As I approached the top of the big field, I noticed two ravens sitting in tree tops bordering the toddlers' playground, calling.
As soon as I stood still, they came down to the ground, at the same time the quarry pair arrived. I started feeding them - the pair from the tree tops was the young pair. Then my bold pair came swooping in from across the ravens field.

They were greeted by the young pair with the juvenile begging posture, and with lots of cawing. The quarry pair kept their distance. 
I started feeding them, and noted again that one of each pair was more aggressive in regard to getting the scraps than the other. 

Then, a seventh raven appeared! He was keeping a huge distance between himself and the other six, did not try to push in, and none of the six original ravens seemed to be fussed by that new raven. 
The quarry pair then flew off, having eaten quite a bit, and the young pair did the same when I made my way to the newcomer. He did approach and took a couple of scraps, the bold pair did not impede him.

By that time I'd run out of scraps, so that was the end of it, and I walked back home across the muddy fields.

No comments:

Blog Archive