Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Sunday, 6 December 2009

Sunday, Dec 6th

Half an hour before going out, I again heard this kerfuffle from the back garden, this time only ravens and jackdaws sounded to be involved.

We left the house at 7.45. It had been raining heavily overnight, but was dry when we left. it was quite dark because of teh clouds, the sun well hidden, but the waning moon. now nearly half, still nicely visible in the West. 
It was quite mild, with a cool, Westerly breeze. 
Madame was much more perky today than in the last few mornings.

We walked on the footpath to the top of the big field. One raven cam down from the spinney, then the second. I threw them some scraps and went straight into the ravens field, where I let Madame off for a brief run. We stayed close to the spinney, me not wanting to overdo things in regard to Madame.

The two ravens followed us - and I saw that this time it was my bold one, and his companion. He was a bit apprehensive, being in the open field, but they both were only about five feet away from us - closer than the young pair ever were.

And gosh, didn't he go for the scraps! He butted his companion out of the way, several times, and scoffed about five pieces, storing them in his crop, before he flew off to hide them in a hole in the ground. 
That was the only time his companion got some - and he was back with a huge swoop when he saw that there was more food to be had!

We walked back along the 'more-food'way, they both followed us. Again, unlike the young pair, they walked pretty close behind us, not swooping first into a tree and then down again onto the big field.

When I had nearly finished with the scraps, and we had walked on, a second pair flew down to this field. They, and we, were quite a distance away from the first, bold pair, so there was no squawking and wing-flapping: the first pair took off, and the second pair got the rest of the scraps. As they kept their distance of a good three or four yards, I couldn't make out if they were my young pair or the other pair which had come in the last two days.

All together, this was a very good start to the day: Madame a bit improved, and my bold raven back! 
Lets hope for more of the same tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Archive