Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Sunday, 20 December 2009

Sunday, Dec 20th

Another clear sky at dawn - another very cold morning. The colours of the dawn sky were magnificent: a pale pink, a yellowy blue, soft pastels.
We left the house around 7.45. The ravens had been calling around 7.15 a.m., which is about an hour before sun rise. Today, we could hear them calling in the park, and it sounded as if they were calling from the rooftops of the roads bordering the park. I believe their calls were so clear because there was hardly any traffic noise.

The ravens had a surprise for us today. As it was so very cold, the third day in succession, they must have been quite hungry. So they came to meet us at the top of the big field!
The first pair to arrive was the young pair from the quarry side, and then my young pair turned up. They swooped to the ground, and then hopped nearer.
As my young pair turned up, there was a little dust-up between the pairs, with squawking and wing-flapping. They settled and all had their share of scraps.
Then my bold raven and his companion arrived, from the direction of Pontcanna Fields. They also got their share.

As it was so very cold, we cut our walk short and went home. The bold raven followed us, flying into a tree along the footpath, then his companion came as well. And then his companion made this lovely, deep sound which sounds a bit like blowing across the top of a rusty metal pipe.
Unfortunately, Bart bounced up to meet us, and wanted to play with Madame, so that was the end of that! (Bart is a young, big, chocolate Labradoodle.)

I don't know yet what I'll do tomorrow, as I have a very early appointment, right on the other side of town. Thus it will be still very dark if we go out at 7 a.m.
Perhaps it might be better if we go out later in the morning, after I'm back.

No comments:

Blog Archive