Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Wednesday, 9 December 2009

Dec 9th

It was a dry and mild morning, no rain clouds and a mild breeze. We were running late, so it was quite light when we left the house at 7.50 a.m. There was still some reasonably dense morning mist over the fields - it looked beautiful, but was much colder than I had anticipated.

Because of our being late, we met so many people and dog walkers, we simply had to chat to them! 
So we were well over 15 minutes past the usual time of getting to the top of the big field and the spinney. 

On the way there, two ravens flew in and sat in a tree next to the footpath leading to the spinney. One made some beautiful, soft noises, like coming from a very deep metal pipe. 
I stood still and said hello - but didn't feed them there: too many people and dogs, and not the right place. These two must have been the third pair, the one from the toddlers' playground.

Coming to the ravens field, the young pair swooped down from the trees and followed us - walking. These were the young pair. Their behaviour (the more timid one getting more scraps, but not seriously competing) made that quite obvious.
We did our usual routine, walking round the enclosure - they still keep a respectful distance, regardless of Madame being on or off the lead.

We then walked towards the spinney. Both followed us, walking, but at the point where I would turn either the non-food or the more-food way, I had run out of scraps, so there was no choice!

They then flew in our wake - one landing at the big puddle on eh ground, the one in front of the sheds - the other landing on the topmost branch of one of the smallish trees bordering the spinney. The twig he tried to sit on was too weak, it bent over under his weight and he nearly fell off. 
With a bit of flapping of wings he got it right. 

Madame enjoyed her walk - but her general behaviour shows me that she is not her usual self. 
Tomorrow it'll be cold, according to the Met Office, so we'll see if we'll get a repeat performance of having all six ravens coming to be fed.

No comments:

Blog Archive