Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Dec 2nd

The good news is that Madame was allowed to come home  today, from the vet's hospital. She is still a bit shaky, but time will make her better, I hope.

The raven news - well, that was very interesting!
I left the house around 7.40. It was much milder than yesterday, but very cloudy, with a hint of drizzle, and no sun, but also no arctic winds.

There were a few raven calls, but I didn't see one raven the whole length of Llandaff fields, until I came to the ravens field. Then, i saw one flying to sit on the top branch of one of the trees near the spinney. 

He did not come down into the big field, nor did he come into the ravens field until I was nearly up to the top enclosure where I feed them. A second raven joined him - but they kept the whole enclosure between themselves and me, so I could not make out who they were. 
They did pick up the scraps, but were not waiting for me to throw them, as the bold one and even the young pair have been doing.

I'd say though that they were definitely not the pair with the bold raven.
They might have been the young pair, and might have been very confused and scared, seeing me on my own, without Madame.

If so - then the question arises why, after a good ten days, they don't recognise me on my own, and why, seeing me on my own, they were so scared? I was wearing the same clothes, after all.
Compare this with the 'recognition experiment', involving the bold raven, on Nov, 11th.

If they were the third pair, the pair I fed by mistake in the field next to the old quarries, when it was too dark for me to see that they were not the bold pair - then what has happened to my young pair?

Very odd.
I don't know yet what will happen tomorrow  - it depends on how Madame is doing for the rest of today, overnight, and in the morning.
We'll have to wait and see ...

No comments:

Blog Archive