Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Dec 15th

The weather forecasters had it wrong - it was by no means cold today! 
However, it was so overcast that there was not even a hint of sunrise, and a heavy drizzle was coming down. No wind to speak of, so it felt really mild.
When we left the house shortly before 7.30 a.m. it was so dark that the street lights were still lit.
We had heard no raven calls earlier, we heard none in the park - and there wasn't a raven in sight.

When we got into the middle of the ravens field, we heard the first call - it came from a huge lime tree, and I could just make out one raven sitting in its branches. He came down into the open field, and then his companion followed. 

It was the young pair, and again they ventured much closer, even up to a yard away - provided we turned our backs to them and did not watch them picking up the scraps. 

In the enclosure, they were again more diffident - I really do not understand why they keep so much further away when they are protected from Madame. 
Still, one of them flew onto one fence post and made this wonderful deep and soft croaking noise, fluffing himself up. I do like that!

We left along the 'more-food' way - but they did not follow us for long. Instead, one flew to the big puddle in front of the sheds - that's the 'no-more-food' way, to drink. 

They did pick us up in the big field, but did not venture as close as in the ravens field. 
No other ravens came, so we left them and went home.

I wonder if the darkness today meant that the other ravens were late getting to Llandaff Fields. 
We'll see tomorrow if they come when it is a bit brighter, drier - and colder!

No comments:

Blog Archive