Town Raven

Town Raven
In flight


This is a diary, or rather, field notes written up each day, with the latest entry at the top.

To get the full story, start at the bottom entry in the archive, and read upwards.
Then read the current diary entries from the bottom up as well.

Once you've got the full story, just visit and read the new story for the day!


Location Map

Location Map
This shows where we walk and meet the ravens
The yellow and pink squiggly lines are two walks we take. The yellow one is the one we usually do. The squigglyness indicates how Madame visits her several important sniffing check-points!
We stop several times to feed the ravens, and you can see where they come from.

If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you can then zoom in to see more details.

Thursday, 19 November 2009

Nov 19th


A truly bad raven day - this is what happened:

We left the house about ten minutes earlier than yesterday. It was still blowing quite strongly, but it didn't rain, and while it was a bit chilly, the sun was peeping out from behind the clouds. 
So I took my camera with me. 

One solitary raven was in the very first field - not interested in us. We walked up to the big field, no ravens in sight, although there were some calls coming from Pontcanna Fields. Lots of seagulls flying above us, obviously enjoying the strong winds.

Then, I saw two ravens at the top of the big field. We were still quite some distance away. They did not approach us, and I wasn't sure which pair they were, 'my' ravens or the young ones. Madame ran up to them and they flapped away, but settled on the ground again, without coming closer. 

I then took a photo - and the flash scared them off. 
They did not come back for scraps, and they did not follow us into the ravens field.

As we slowly walked up to the enclosure, one raven flew into it - we were still quite a distance away. 
I walked round the fence. The second raven came - but neither of them approached me, and they waited to pick up the scraps until we were about ten yards away. Also, each flew off immediately after taking one scrap. 
We went back to the big field. One raven followed, but very warily and yards away - nothing like my bold raven. He made himself look very slim while he followed. He did not follow us round the spinney into the big field.

It was so sad - and my own stupid fault for not disengaging the autoflash. 

So - were these my ravens, totally scared and distrustful? Then I'll have to start again and regain their trust.

Or were these the young ones, equally scared? It could have been ...

It might perhaps have been the third pair which we saw the other day - distrustful, unused to us, and very scared but taking the scraps anyway. 
If so - what happened to my ravens?

I'm at a loss, and can only hope for better things tomorrow. 

No comments:

Blog Archive